Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Tennis elbow

On May 4, 7:23 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I went to my sports medicine doctor today to help me with a problem I've
been having with my elbow for about 6 months.

After examining me he proclaimed I had classic tennis elbow symptoms. So I
was explaining the situation where it would have come up, so that he could
suggest a way to continue without further damaging the joint and we decided
it was caused by my drywalling work.

Picking up sheets of drywall by the edge with one hand to lift them into
position, oddly enough he's seen cases where using a screwgun aggrevates it,
painting overhead, using a hammer incorrectly (using wrist action to pound
the nail, not my arm). So he suggested I start wearing a tennis elbow strap
and begin icing my elbow after doing any more DIY jobs. A couple 3 months
and I should be back in fighting form.

In retrospect I should have known unloading drywall by myself from my truck
would injure something, but I always wrote it off as a muscle pull (which it
is) but not something so extensive.

Yep, me too. My elbows have been hurting for years. I went to the
doctor at first but now I treat mine like everyone else, on my own.
I'm not surprised anymore after 46 years when my body hurts. That's
life. Get used to it.

I don't think they do much surgery on elbows at least I don't hear of
it except for pro atheletes. So long as you have your strength and
range of motion then a bit of pain is common enough.