Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Swimming Pool Filter Selection Question

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a Hayward C1200 catridge filter and it's a hassle to clean the
filter.

I have been reading about sand filters and DE filters, so I decided to
do some research and they don't seem to be clear winners either.

The sand filter requires back washing, but I don't know how clean you
really can achieve by back washing alone. Seems to me one may have to
replace all the sand in there once in a while. Also it is not clear to
me if the water has to be travelling through sand to get to the bottom,
will the filtration be fast enough to circulate the water?

The DE filter requires the powder to be added, since the powder are so
fine, will it again cause the water movement to be inefficient?

Right now after a while my pump won't prime because the catridge gets a
lot of grease and dirt and I have to wash the filter thoroughly for the
pump to prime. I hate cleaning catridges, it is a very laborious task
because you have to reach into each fold to clean the interior surface
area and this is no small task. If you don't clean it enough the grease
and dirt will again impede the flow and water does not circulate as
quick as possible.

There is no perfect filter?

MC

I have a DE filter, and I'm happy with it. No matter what you have, you
either have the option to pay someone to take care of it, or learn
yourself and spend the time it takes to keep the pool right.

You sound like someone who needs to hire a pool guy.

Steve

I do not have the luxury of hiring a pool guy. I have to do it myself
because my pool is not accessible to anyone, the house is a wrap around
house with the pool in the central courtyard. To get to the pool one must
have the keys to the front and back doors. I am not yet comfortable to
hand my door keys and security alarm code to a pool guy, and I am too busy
to sit around and wait for the pool guy to come by (if I sit and wait
might as well take care of it myself).

I am just not sure the catridges are meant to be cleaned between each
fold. Now if there are catridges I can disassemble and unfold it and
spread it out so I can hose it down, then it's easier but with the
standard catridges I don't know how you can really thoroughly clean it, it
seems an impossible task to me.

MC

Alright, then, if you're stuck with the job, I'll help you. Look at your
pool filter cartridge. Some have a dome on the top, and if you stick a
broom stick or pointed rod inside, it will rest on the impression in the top
of the dome at top. You can then shoot a stream of water on it with a hand
sprayer, and it will spin around, throwing off the gook that needs to come
out. It is also a good idea to soak them in chemical once in a while, even
a little bleach. Get you a big trash can with a lid, and re use the water,
as some of the chemicals are expensive. If there's a hole in the top of the
cartridge and you can't use the broom handle trick, look around and buy some
old type of turntable, perhaps at a yard sale, and sit it on there. You
want it to spin while you are spraying it. It's messy, but it's fun. Rinse
it a lot, that's dead skin and old farts you are washing off there.

Steve