Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gary Tait Gary Tait is offline

Default remote control light

Herb wrote in newsobn33tibkdto1hr22v3fkjnjrtr9ar9lf@
4ax.com:

well no, as I'd said, this is different. I experimented and see that
it is some unusual device. There is a plastic film with wide, donut
shaped white traces that light up. The white center dot makes the
connection when a key is pressed, but the rings light up.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6969/remoteta0.jpg

The links between rings don't seem to be broken. Maybe this material
just wears out. Or, it's maybe a problem with contact. I tried it
with the cover removed and see that the spots that light up are
scattered.

It could be EL (Electro luminescent) material.
Is there a small transformer on the board?

The EL trace could be broken, which you may be able to repair with metallic
ink.