Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default drum sander usage - your preferences

Lew Hodgett wrote in
ink.net:

Patriarch wrote:

I bought one to do raised panel cabinet doors, and shop cut
veneering projects. Fought with it for 6 weeks, and sold it for 90%
of my

cash out
of pocket, and smiled. Haven't been tempted again.

SFWIW, I use a commercial service.

Machine has 48" wide capacity, is equipped with three (3) sanding
drums (coarse, medium, fine), each driven by it's own 25HP motor.

DC complete with bag house is a separate device.

Can handle about 1/32" per pass.

Getting an average top sanded flat is less than $30.

I can't figure out how you can compete with machinery like that.

Lew

I came to pretty much the same conclusion that Lew did, although I work
in smaller quantities and sizes, most likely. It's a hobby, not an
obsession or a business.

My sander was the Performax 16/32. With extension tables and roller
wheels. Keeping it parallel was a challenge, and the work was
SLOOOOOWWWW. I lacked the patience to keep feeding and turning and
feeding again, so I sold it. No big deal.

My neighbor has a Delta version, similar size. I'd had him do a couple
of smallish table tops, and his had similar challenges to mine. It
wasn't helping, really.

Some work I can't do in my shop, so I either don't do it, or I take it
to someone who can. Life goes on. YMMV.

Patriarch