Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Weatherproof nail hole filler?

You mean the kind of logs that have two equal parallel vertical sides, and
heights, and a locking joint between them (and a gasket), and at the
corners, possibly with rods running top to bottom?

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message
"ashore" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ultimate involves plugging the holes with the same cedar. Get
yrself a plug cutter, cut a few plugs out of some left over cedar
pieces, drill the holes, tap the plugs in, saw flush and finish. (Use
a dab of that varnish - as a glue - in the hole before the plug goes
in. ) Nice project, and really, really nice results.

I have a plug cutter and have done this on other projects. I didn't
bother with this one because a) the wood is too thin and b) I never cared
enough about it until the last minute. I don't plan to stay in this house
for many more years; the ultimate mailbox will get built once I know where
I'm going to end up. I'm hoping it's a place with acres of hardwood
forest.

Well I'm off to visit a friend whose building his log house in just such a
forest. I'm very excited because he tells me trees are mine for the
asking, and there are burls everywhere. We're mapping the place today for
a Managed Forest grant. Woohoo!

- Owen -