Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default fitting a new shaft to a sledge hammer

On Thu, 03 May 2007 11:17:54 -0700, bertfulker_6 wrote:

can you please advise on the correct way to fit a new hickory shaft to
a sledge hammer

I used to use a spokeshave to fit the shaft, but nowadays I use a 100 mm grinder
with a flap disk (sanding).

I use one saw cut across the widest section about 2/3 rds depth of hammer head.
I make a hardwood wedge, cut out of the old shaft about 1:10.

I use two serrated metal wedges (no saw cuts for them) across the short way.

When I have the shaft fit to the head fairly tight as Tom says, I always
belt **** out of the end of the shaft with a lump hammer. This drives the
shaft an extra 20 or 30mm into the head getting it really tight. Any
spelches on the end of the handle I clean of with the grinder. Get it
tight, saw off the excess and then put your wedges in.

--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/