Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Swimming Pool Filter Selection Question

On May 4, 9:59 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"tom" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 4, 6:57 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a Hayward C1200 catridge filter and it's a hassle to clean the
filter.

I have been reading about sand filters and DE filters, so I decided to do
some research and they don't seem to be clear winners either.

The sand filter requires back washing, but I don't know how clean you
really
can achieve by back washing alone. Seems to me one may have to replace
all
the sand in there once in a while. Also it is not clear to me if the
water
has to be travelling through sand to get to the bottom, will the
filtration
be fast enough to circulate the water?

The DE filter requires the powder to be added, since the powder are so
fine,
will it again cause the water movement to be inefficient?

Right now after a while my pump won't prime because the catridge gets a
lot
of grease and dirt and I have to wash the filter thoroughly for the pump
prime. I hate cleaning catridges, it is a very laborious task because
you
have to reach into each fold to clean the interior surface area and this
is
no small task. If you don't clean it enough the grease and dirt will
again
impede the flow and water does not circulate as quick as possible.

There is no perfect filter?

MC

Maybe not. My sand filter (dunno about DE) is relatively
straightforward: Backwash, and start filtering again. Yes, after a
while, the sand loses its edges, requiring replacement. It's been 7
years on the same sand for me, however. Now the hot tub cartridge
filter is another story...I soak it in a solution of laundry detergent
when it get really grunged, then spray the pleats clean. Ain't
alt.home.repair great? Tom

Do you pry open each pleat and spray it clean one at a time?

Thanks,

MC- Hide quoted text -

Heck, no. Too much worry. Tom