Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default Weatherproof nail hole filler?

"ashore" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ultimate involves plugging the holes with the same cedar. Get
yrself a plug cutter, cut a few plugs out of some left over cedar
pieces, drill the holes, tap the plugs in, saw flush and finish. (Use
a dab of that varnish - as a glue - in the hole before the plug goes
in. ) Nice project, and really, really nice results.

I have a plug cutter and have done this on other projects. I didn't bother
with this one because a) the wood is too thin and b) I never cared enough
about it until the last minute. I don't plan to stay in this house for many
more years; the ultimate mailbox will get built once I know where I'm going
to end up. I'm hoping it's a place with acres of hardwood forest.

Well I'm off to visit a friend whose building his log house in just such a
forest. I'm very excited because he tells me trees are mine for the asking,
and there are burls everywhere. We're mapping the place today for a Managed
Forest grant. Woohoo!

- Owen -