Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net is offline

Default Another question about Saw Stop

Okay .. don't yell at me, insult my family, or threaten to hunt me down
and kill me (or worse). I have a simple question.

Saw Stop obviously works on the principles of capacitance and/or
conductivity. Human flesh (and hot dogs too) are essentially just tubes
of water. Hence, they can be easily detected by a current in the blade.

So ... my question is ... has anyone seen or heard of problems with the
Saw Stop when dealing with "wet wood"? Of course, it isn't a great idea
to be sawing wet wood (really wet wood) anyway.

But many woods do have moisture, particularly the crap we buy these days
at the BORGs.

So I was just wondering just how sensitive these machines are. Having
it be overly sensitive isn't a bad thing when you consider the cost of
losing a finger. But if a little moisture stops the saw - and destroys
a nice $150 blade - it could be quite annoying.

Jack