Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom B Tom B is offline

Default 4.5 HP Needs a 30 Amp Breaker?

Thanks to all for the responses.

Net/net - why be pound foolish? Spend $3K on a saw, blades, base, etc
and not spend a few bucks and a few scary minutes (I hate doing 220 in
the breaker box, though I lived with it overseas for years) on a
circuit for it? Case of the dumbs.

Though I do like the idea of using the dryer (or stove) circuit -
HMMM.

No, last thing I need is to have to explain to SWMBO that my new high
$$ toy fouled up her kingdom's smooth operation. That could get really
expensive! New breaker it is.

Regards.

Tom

On Fri, 04 May 2007 09:31:07 -0500, Tom B
wrote:

Flameproof suit on.

Laguna says 30 Amp breaker on 220 Volt service is needed for the
LT16HD (4.5 HP Baldor motor).

My quick calc shows 4.5 HP on 220V is ~3375 Watts or about 15.3 Amp.

Is the start-up draw 30% higher than the run draw?

I have 220V 20A service and 10-3 wiring installed over about a 20'
span and wonder if I need to go up to a 30 Amp breaker.

I could just plug it in, crank it up, and see if the breaker pops :-).

Flameproof suit off.

Regards.

Tom