Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Home plumbing: Copper VS plastic-type pipes

On May 2, 3:09 am, wrote:
On May 2, 2:33 am, The Space Boss wrote:

I was talking to a plumber and he told me that new houses being built
no longer use copper plumbing. In fact, he told me that the "plastic
type" pipes (I forget what the material actually is) is actually
superior to copper.

Is this true? It seems to me that copper would stand up better against
the elements "freezing, etc" than Plastic would.

Please advise.

When I put the addition on our house in the late 80's I used the white
1/2" CPVC pipe and have regretted using it since. It was easier to
assembly, just glue, no soldering but if you look in the end of the
pipe the wall thickness is bigger than copper. This creates reduced
water volume. Our shower in the addition is about 3/4 strength that
it should be, toilet takes longer to fill, etc.

Stick to copper.

And hopefully your house doesn't get cold enough for the pipes to
freeze.

Brian

Brian-

The inside diameters of

1/2" CPVC . 602"
1/2" copper type L .545"
1/2" copper type M .569"

flow through the CPVC should easily be equal or better than 1/2"
copper

Even in nominal 3/4 size, the inside diameters are about equal
between CPVC & copper

Unless you've got a really long run to that shower, 1/2 CPVC should
supply it just fine.

I wondering if there might be another cause?

cheers
Bob