Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default Would an audio test CD help trouble shoot a rattling noise in speaker?

I had a similar problem, it had that flex thing that surrounds the
speaker cone broken. It was of some aged material that fell off just
blowing air at it. Fixed it with fine paper adhesive.

eastcoastguyz wrote:
(Please be kind, I am not an audio expert.)

I have a TV which makes a rattling noised when certain low frequencies
are played at a normal volume. This happens from either cable or
playing something from a DVD. Before I remove the cover and start to
try tightening screws up and other things, I would like to be able to
duplicate the problem while attemping to fix this problem.

I thought perhaps this could be done with an audio test CD I have
heard about. I was thinking I would play it through the DVD player
connected to the TV, and then when it makes the rattled, know that I
have isolated it to begin to fix this.

I don't know if I would have any other use for a $100 audio test CD
beyond this purpose, so I was wondering if there already exists some
audio test samples that are free I could download someplace that would
do the trick. The rattle doesn't happen often enough to simply leave
the TV on while trying to duplicate the problem. I don't know how low
of a frequency it is, just that it is low when it rattles. This is
just a normal JVC TV, no surround sound or anything additional added
to it. Thanks!