Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default 4.5 HP Needs a 30 Amp Breaker?

"Tom B" wrote in message
Flameproof suit on.

Laguna says 30 Amp breaker on 220 Volt service is needed for the
LT16HD (4.5 HP Baldor motor).

My quick calc shows 4.5 HP on 220V is ~3375 Watts or about 15.3 Amp.

Is the start-up draw 30% higher than the run draw?

I have 220V 20A service and 10-3 wiring installed over about a 20'
span and wonder if I need to go up to a 30 Amp breaker.

I could just plug it in, crank it up, and see if the breaker pops :-).

Flameproof suit off.

Regards.

Tom

First of all, it won't hurt the wiring if the circuit breaker is too small.
Instead, you will eventually get tired of tripped breakers.

The Delta manual shows that a 5 HP motor can draw up to 28 amperes.
Frankly, I expect that Baldor knows more about the requirements of their
motors than any of us. Hence, I would follow their instructions.

Incidentally, my table saw has a 1 HP repulsion-induction motor which is
rated at 11 amperes. Despite this, I have tripped a 20 ampere circuit
breaker while I was ripping some wood.

Jim