Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme Graeme is offline

Default Changing house name ( OT).

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-04 14:59:24 +0100, Graeme said:

We are discussing the real world here, not some form of Utopia. Royal
Mail have to operate in the real world, and therefore have to deliver
anywhere, for the same price. Fact.

No it isn't.

Yes, it is.

This is not a service that is absolutely required.

That is a completely different argument, and you know it. By law, RM
*must* deliver to every address, for the same price. Fact. Whether or
not it is required is beside the point.

Yes indeed - and whilst that would doubtless reduce junk or
unnecessary mail, particularly to remote areas, it would also
penalise every Granny and Auntie who wanted to send a card to a
remote relative.

So base it on weight and size. Besides..... Granny and Auntie can
just as easily send an email.

Granny cannot send an e-mail if Granny cannot use a computer, or the
recipient cannot.

Believe me, there are vast armies of everyday people who could not
survive without written documentation.

The real situation is that they can't be bothered to look and something
else because it hasn't been organised for them.

Quite possibly, but again, that is hardly the point.

Well, those that can read, anyway. Your argument also assumes that
everyone has, or has access to, a computer. Whilst that is becoming
true, there are, once again, armies of people who have never used a
computer, and never want to.

That's their choice. It's not a necessity. Why does some archaic
service have to be provided just to cater for the incapable. It is
perfectly possible for almost anybody to use something based on a
keyboard and screen as a source of information and communication.

Possible, perhaps yes, but realistic? No.

For example, decades ago in France the Minitel terminal was introduced
and given to every telephone subscriber instead of printed directories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

This was enormously successful and people did not have difficulty using
it - even old grannies.

True - but using a directory was faster!

The system will not change until everyone has easy access to a
computer, and is happy to use one.

That's a crock of an excuse.

You are of my generation. You have grown up using computers, and are
happy to do so. Yes, there are many 'silver surfers' also happy, but
there are far more who just cannot grasp PINs and plastic cards, never
mind computers. Things will change, as older people die. Nothing
changes overnight.

One might as well say that public transport should run with horse
pulled carts because people don't like the idea of getting into buses.

Doubtless there were millions of people alive when buses were
introduced, and equally doubtless a great many of them went to their
graves never having used any form of motorised transport.

Fair enough, but switching everyone to electronic bills and
statements does not save money - it merely moves it.

People who insist on paper bills should pay more - that's perfectly reasonable

I don't doubt that will happen, in time.

Someone, somewhere will have to ensure that all these people have a
computer, and the skill to use it.

They can do it themselves. Why the notion exists that someone has to
take responsibility for making sure people have a computer, I am amazed.

I should have said have access to. Most people have access to, via a
public library, but that does not provide the skill or confidence to use
it.

They managed to buy TV sets without any difficulty.

I hardly think that using a television is comparable to using a
computer.

--
Graeme