Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default Chainsaw repair question

SteveSch wrote:
Hello,

I have a Craftsman 20" chainsaw that is about 4 years old (Model
358350200). Saturday I was using it and it was running weak, last years
gas I assumed. It ran out so I put in some fresh gas. The engine would
only run fast for a few seconds, with the choke on. Well after a few
minutes of trying the engine wouldn't even pop at all.

I pulled the plug and laid it on the engine and gave the rope a pull and
there is no spark. I disconnected the kill wires from the ignition module
and tried it again with the same results. New plug-same results.

The exploded view shows this engine has no contacts of any kind that I can
see. Just three magnets on the flywheel that pass the coil to create a
spark. Reading on the web I found it was probably the ignition module that
was bad. The gap was +-.027. I bought a new ignition module and there
still is no spark.

I am stumped.

The kill switch grounds the coil. I unhooked it so even a bad switch
wouldn't matter.

On mowers there is a flywheel key that needs replaced after hitting
something with the blade. Without the contacts/points, the saw should
still produce a spark.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

My first question - where on earth(pardon the pun) did you find enough
metal on a 4 year old Poulan(Craftsman) chain saw to get a verified
engine ground for your spark plug?

Try your spark test again with a physical jumper to engine ground -
alligator clip or such.

This sounds more like a carb issue so far.

Rob