Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default 4.5 HP Needs a 30 Amp Breaker?

"Tom B" wrote in message
Flameproof suit on.

Laguna says 30 Amp breaker on 220 Volt service is needed for the
LT16HD (4.5 HP Baldor motor).

My quick calc shows 4.5 HP on 220V is ~3375 Watts or about 15.3 Amp.

Is the start-up draw 30% higher than the run draw?

I would imagine at least 30% more. That said, I have the same saw and run
it on my 30 amp Dryer Circuit at the same time that the dryer is running
with no sign of voltage drop. The saw starts the same whether the dryer is
running or not.

I have 220V 20A service and 10-3 wiring installed over about a 20'
span and wonder if I need to go up to a 30 Amp breaker.

If you get into resawing wider boards you may blow the breaker on a 20 amp.
On a side note, I can run my 22/44 drum sander that requires a 20 amp
circuit and my 1100 CFM Dust Collector on a 15 amp circuit but on wider
boards I will blow a breaker. Both running off of the 20 amp washer circuit
works great.

I could just plug it in, crank it up, and see if the breaker pops :-).

I would be suprised if it blows on start up, it'll blow in the middle of a
resaw job. ;~)