Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Sludge Removal / Power Flush

In article . com,
staffo wrote:
I have just had a filter installed, called a magnaclean this picks up
iron oxide particles which is the sludge that develops in radiators,
you can clean the filter and I was suprised how much of this sludge
the filter picked up. The heating engineer had nothing but praise for
the filter even though he admitted it would cut down on his work if
all systems had them.

Iron oxide is rust which comes from corroding rads, etc. A better idea is
to prevent that corrosion in the first place. Water circulating in a
heating system shouldn't contain any oxygen - and without oxygen, rust
can't occur. And unless fresh water is constantly being introduced to the
system, there won't be any oxygen in the water. So a combination of a non
leaking system with inhibitor should make the use of such a filter
unnecessary.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.