Posted to alt.home.repair
The Space Boss The Space Boss is offline

Default Home plumbing: Copper VS plastic-type pipes

On May 3, 8:13 pm, "Rudy" wrote:
When I put the addition on our house in the late 80's I used the white
1/2" CPVC pipe and have regretted using it since. It was easier to
assembly, just glue, no soldering but if you look in the end of the
pipe the wall thickness is bigger than copper. This creates reduced
water volume. Our shower in the addition is about 3/4 strength that
it should be, toilet takes longer to fill, etc.

Stick to copper.

Naww..Never use CPVC for a "real" house..maybe for mobile home replacement..

The "new" plastic is called PEX. I'd use it over copper any day as long as
the plumber knows how to install it.
I do. Do a Google search for Aquapex or Wirsbo.
Its great stuff. Had it put in our last two custom homes. Easy to work
with..No soldered joints. No air hammers or pipe noise.

Again, Rudy, what happens if somehow you had a rodent chewed through
the PEX? And how long does PEX last? ANd what of water pressure? Is
there any chance it could rupture under too much pressure? And what of
attic installation? If it gets 105 in the desert, the attic of a house
could really bake. Could it not exceed the 200 degrees?