Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Sludge Removal / Power Flush

In article ,
Horse With No Name wrote:
Anybody comment on the need or otherwise to "de-sludge" a heating
system. Reading around it seems it's a recommendation every ten years,
but also just read somewhere that a properly installed system should
never need flushing.
Thoughts?

It depends on vested interests. Those selling flushing services say it's
essential. Many boiler makers won't honour a warranty on a replacement to
an old system if it hasn't been done, I'm told.

My experience says a system otherwise in good condition which has always
had inhibitor kept up to strength will have near zero corrosion, so
flushing would not be required. But I'd say the removal of just one rad
would soon tell the condition.

Of course perhaps most systems will have no history by the time it comes
for boiler replacement so flushing could then just be prudent.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.