Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Tank

On May 3, 6:56�pm, wrote:
On May 3, 10:24 am, "Travis Jordan" wrote:

"beverly" wrote in message

oups.com...

I heard the hot water tank life span is about 16 years is that true

Mine is 22 years old (electric) and still operating fine; I've replaced one
thermostat and one element in that time.

A neighbor whose WH was the same make and age did a 'precautionary'
replacement last year. *I had the plumber hacksaw open his old one and it
still looked OK inside, so I'm letting mine go until something happens. *It
is installed in the garage, has an overflow pan and I always turn off the
water if I'm going out of town so I figure the risk of damage from a leak is
pretty small.

YMMV.

Also, there is a big difference in typical lifespan for an electric vs
gas. *Electric, due to the way it's heated, lasts a lot longer, so 20+
years is not unusual for an electric. * Somewhere around 13 I'd say is
more typical of gas. *But it varies widely, much of it do to what's in
the water. *Experience from some neighbors can be one rough guide.- Hide quoted text -

with a gas tank thermal shock if its emptied completely, that is all
hot water replaced with cold can lead to earlier tank failure.

expansion and contraction stresses the glass liner