Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Making an endoscope

(Michael Black) writes:

Usual Suspect ) writes:
I had a go today but failed , any ideas? A violinist, I know, asked about
such an inspection viewer, small and flexible.

Suggest you cross-post to the wider s.e.* groups. Might get better response
from the engineering population...

No, not cross-post. He shouldn't have posted a non-repair question in
a repair newsgroup.

Before he posts again, he should read Mark Zenier's guide to the hierarchy,
ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt
and then determine the most appropriate newsgroup before he posts again.

There is virtually no reason for someone to cross-post. It's usually
laziness.

Nonetheless, his question is valid and broadening one's experiences can't
hurt.

A totally optical endoscope uses what's called a "coherent optical bundle".
This has 100s of thousands of fibers arranged in exactly the same pattern
at both ends. That's why they cost 10s of thousands of dollars.

Google: "coherent optical bundle" or something like that. Or, "endoscope"
for that matter.

Many newer ones use miniature CCD cameras.