Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Sony VCR SLV-E20 PAL: no colors

On May 3, 9:29 pm, "Matti" wrote:
check for dry joints on the main pcb. also look for a little metal 2
legged can in the chroma decoder circuit (pal section - some models
also accept secam)) there should be a number containing 4.43 printed
on it.

Couldn't find the 4.43 can.

Found some brown stuff under two black-gray condensers in area labeled
"primary" under the same hood where the power inlet is on main pcb. Would
it
be worth trying to replace these?

Also a component labeled "Sharp 12SZ11" seems to have been running hot.

if it is hard stuff then its just glue used at manufacture; if it is
sticky and/or the caps are bulging replace them.
you would probably have other symptoms if the caps were leaking that
badly though.

Replaced the two leaking capacitors. The old ones were clearly wet
underneath, and the pcb around them was sticky. But this did not fix
anything.

How can I find the chroma decoder circuit?

Other suggestions? (Yes, the device is old and worth nothing, but I take
this more as an amateur repair challenge.)

check on www.eserviceinfo.com for the service manual or schematic.
also try the e-repair or highlandelectrix tips sites. good luck! -Ben-