John Stumbles

Default Megaflow Query

[snipped, and order changed to reverse 'top-posting' (the putting of the
reply before the original/earlier posts)]

"Julia Mann" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

"Julia Mann" wrote in message
om...

---8---
I have a warm air heating system which was there when I moved in
(almost new) which I am keeping so no chance of a combi.

---8---
I have to have the cylinder changed to an
indirect y-plan system so I can have
rads running off, heated by the warm air
unit water heater. This is ok, it's just that
I have been told that a megaflow is the only way to
get the hot taps running ok.

---8---
I already have a nice new electric shower installed.

---8---
Basically it's just 3 sinks which are suffering and so
spending any more than is absolutely needed
is going to be painfull!

---8---
I spoke to a guy today who thought
it could be the pipework which has
been used to install the new sinks -
the bath is ok (fills faster than
any I have ever had before) and this
is the original bath using the
original pipework. He said hot water
pipes should be 22mm,

To the bath, yes.

but the ones going up underneath the
new sinks in my flat are 15mm.

That is correct.

He also said flexi hoses severely
reduce flow, which have been used on 2 of
the sinks as far as I can see.

I've found that monobloc mixer taps (the sort which have just one fixing
hole through the sink or basin) especially with ceramic disks (quarter turn)
can restrict flow where there's not much pressure. Do you have a washing
machine (or connections for one)? If so I suggest that you test the flow at
its hot pipe connection (the little tap with the red handle) (after
disconnecting the washing machine, natch). If you get a good flow from the
washing machine connector the problem is probably with your taps or the
flexible hoses, if not then there could be some restriction in the pipework
elsewhere.

My guy said the bath has a better flow because it is lower down. It's
only a matter of inches - can this be true?

Yes and no: it will be better, but not as much of a difference as you seem
to be describing.

---8---

Also, why did you ask why did I have an electric shower installed?
Should I not have? Was there another option? my guy said I couldn't
have a mixer/power shower unless I went for a combi, but I stuck to my
guns as I actully like warm air and did not want to bin a nearly new
unit!

It depends on what sort of hot water cylinder you presently have. If it's a
'Fortic' or similar (which are common in flats) which has a little storage
tank built-in above the hot water cylinder (visually: has more of a flat top
than a domed one, and a sort of waist about a foot down from the top) then a
power shower would not be a good idea for the risk of running the supply dry
and ruining the shower pump. If it's not a Fortic type then you should have
a separate cold water storage tank: these are usually in the attic in
houses.

--
John Stumbles