Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Mounting A Ripstrate

GROVER wrote:

I have a Ripstrate, a safety device which is mounted to the table saw
fence. It has a pair of spring loaded rubber rollers which pushes the
stock against the fence and a pawl which prevents kickback. Its
essentially a pantagraph mechanism. My fence is the
"Unifence" (3-1/2" high). At that height the rollers do not extend
down to the table.

snip

Is this the one with the black wheels and a metal bar that jams them
if they try to rotate backward?

I have one of those, and when properly adjusted it isn't supposed to
touch the table. You put a piece of stock of the thickness you plan
to rip under the wheels, then loosen the big allen bolt to allow the
wheels to hit the stock. Then you rotate the sleeve with the allen
bolt a little farther in the same direction to provide a little extra
tension. If you do it right, when there is no wood underneath, the
rollers will only be about 1/8 or less below the top of the board.

I probably have the instructions around somewhere, since, according to
SWMBO, I keep every $#@% thing. If you need them, email me.

HTH,

Paul

(omit nospam)