Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default low odour grass composting station: build or buy? links, tips wanted

I just happen to be here in the wreck, and was about the open IE and enter
"grass composting forum" , with words like low-odour, etc.

I have about 1700 sq. ft. of lawn I cut weekly, and I need to create a
composter, for grass only. I want to keep it small as possible. I have
done a little reading in the past about making the composting process an
efficient one, about adding the right kind of things, and turning it all- to
make it dirt as quickly as possible. I used to have a small round black
plastic igloo-shaped one. It walked away one day. It had only been one
summer season here in Toronto, but I could tell it was going to take little
time for grass to become usable dirt, something else I could use around
here. But it will need to be located within 10 feet of a pool. And there
was definitely an odour coming from it. So its time to get or make a new
one, as small as possible, and if it is possible to be specific about the
fact that it be a low-odour model, then that is what I need. I could use
wood, sheet metal, or plastic, or a combination.

I guess I can start in this ng with the question:

Is it possible to make a smallish grass-only (or mainly grass) composter. A
low-odout type. I am just wondering if the black plastic is a better way to
go for the added heat build-up from the sun, whereas wood not be as hot, a
key ingredient. Or maybe slats of wood with a sheet metal, or plastic
boxing inside. I think circulation is important too iirc. And any clues
what I need to do to make it a low-odour version, for at least as long as
anyone will be swimming (close it up temporarily).

Any plans tidbits thoughts thanks