Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Steven Briggs Steven Briggs is offline

Default Making garden pond heron-proof

In message , vortex2
writes
Hi,

In the next couple of weeks we are seriously "upgrading" our garden pond to
be approx 15m^2 (is/was about 3 m^2).

Local herons seem to feed well from garden ponds, so historically we had
fruit cage netting covering ours to prevent them harvesting our fish. A
complete eyesore.

Any ideas/suggestions for a less visually intrusive method for making the
pond unattractive to herons (and for that matter wild ducks)?

I see here http://www.wildwoodsonline.co.uk/aca...eterrents.html
that there are quite a few commercial options none of which have any great
aesthetic appeal.

I am thinking that a grid of taut fishing line on 1 foot-ish centres will
unobtrusively "cut the mustard". Is this likely to be effective?

Any other suggestions?

David

I have a 25m2 pond, and use fishing line round the edge and a few stands
across where I can.
The pond is also deep (32"), and vertical sided.
The real saviour for the fish though seems to be lots of good hiding
places, I have lots (a few dozen) paving slabs as shelves, supported on
with piles of bricks or on-end clay pipes. Two tiers in many places,
2'x2' slabs on 12" long pipes, and a top layer of 18"x18" slabs on
varying stacks of bricks.
I've seen the local heron around occasionally, but I don't think I've
lost many fish when the fishing line defence is in place.
Garden backs onto open fields and woodland, and I'm near the River, so
all good (bad?) potential heron country.

--
steve