Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default Would an audio test CD help trouble shoot a rattling noise in speaker?

In article ,
GregS wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Don't remember what web site but I was able to download a couple drum
samples which greatly aided my troubleshooting once. The piece I was
working on didn't even act up using sine waves, only when lower
frequency music was being played.

The best check is a warbling sweep. Check out the one I suggested
earlier. That's what speaker makers use.

Sine waves can detect resonances. I have always used low bandwidth
music,(AM radio) to shake up rattles in the higher registers. All you
have to do is turn the switch and work the knobs, or buttons.

Trouble is you can't *guarantee* random music will have the correct
frequencies to show up a rattle etc. Hence the idea of using a repeatable
test. The beauty of the 'warble' is going either side of the spot
frequency tends to excite any resonance more readily.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.