Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default OT Gas text book on ebay

On 2007-05-02 22:46:43 +0100, Lobster said:

raden wrote:
In message , Psst
writes
Item 300106407548

I find that gaviscon normally works

Nah - old hat, mate: you should be using a proton-pump inhibitor like
Losec. Hits the GP's drug budget much harder though, so some (like my
Dad's - grr...) are less likely to prescribe it

That depends on the GP, how hard you push and how high you are willing
to raise the stakes.

I think the main factor involved is the patient not knowing that
there's something much better available.

Often true, and sometimes the doctor also. Mine at least freely admits
that I know much more about each of my medical conditions than he does.
That's a good basis on which to go to him armed with suitable clinical
studies and NICE guidelines.

My dad was prescribed a PPI when the Gaviscon hadn't worked after 2-3
days; though I would hope that under those circumstances the GP would
have changed it even had Dad not been armed with the new info.

I wish I shared your confidence. One problem to face is that a lot
of people even now, don't believe that it is their place to question or
challenge the doctor. For many, it costs them their lives, quite
literally.