Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk Adam Funk is offline

Default Running an extractor fan for long periods (damp cellar)?

On 2007-05-02, Stuart Noble wrote:

When I was looking into this last time, the plumbing supplier I phoned
(just before the old dehumidifier died) seemed a little surprised I
thought he would have such a thing.

The whole concept is flawed in my view. You're simply sucking in air
from outside through the air bricks. Sure, you'll create reassuringly
large amounts of water but it won't make the cellar any drier.

YMMV, but in my experience, the cellar was a lot drier with a running
dehumidifier (and the bother of emptying the tank every day) than it
is now (with a few air bricks, but no fan or dehumidifier).