Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no grounding in home

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a home built in the 1960s. While doing
renovations, I got an electrician out to inspect my wiring. He said it
was fine, and wasn't worth rewiring the entire house, but I have no
grounding, which he said meant surge protectors wouldn't work. He said
to add grounding, he would basically need to rewire the whole house,
which would cost about $12000. Is it possible to ground just certain
outlets and/or to get "grounded" in a less costly manner?

Thanks!

$12000!!!??? Is it a 15 bedroom mansion?

--
Steve Barker

Not a surprising estimate, considering how some contractors pull prices out
of their asses. I was quoted $1800.00 and $800.00 for changing a few iron
pipes to PVC in the basement under my bathroom. Two weeks ago, another
plumber (husband of a friend) stopped by, took a look, and said "This is a
breeze. $200.00, and you provide coffee. See ya Saturday morning" Took him
an hour, and he did a great job. I mentioned the other estimates. He said
"Some of these guys are friggin' crazy".