Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default OT Renting a car

"mm" wrote in message
On 2 May 2007 11:38:47 -0700, wrote:

But what if you use 20 and 1/8 tankfuls. Don't they charge you for a
whole tankful even though you only need 1/8th? If not, I'm still
confused. If yes, it seems like a very bad deal, even if they do
charge an average or low rate per gallon.

Yes, they would. But you don't have to always fill the tank. On the
last fill, if you figure
you're only gonna drive another 100 miles, you just put in whatever
amount you
figure will result in the car going back with not much left, like 6
gallons.

I couldn't risk it.

I've run out of gas 16 times iirc. I almost won a weekend for two in
Las Vegas to appear at some convention or something to illustrate
running out of gas. But the last time was at least 11 years ago. I
try real heard not to do that anymore.

try not to now too. in most cars now, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas
flowing through it. no gas, no cooling. you could find yourself needing to
replace the fuel pump.

Strangely, most of the times I ran out of gas it didn't cost me more
than 5 minutes, and never more than a half hour. I know that can't
last forever.

Twice!!, I ran out on the Brooklyn Bridge, heading to Brooklyn, and
each time I coasted down the bridge across Tillary and into the
SAEEWAY gas station. Once on the BQE heading towards Queens just past
Washington AVe. and I coastee along the xway, down the next ramp and
right into a gas station. Once in western Illinois, where I didn't
want to get off the interstate and I got to my destination town,
Chadwick, and ran out of gas just as I crossed the sidewalk while
going into the gas station. Coasted to the pump.

I remember some more, but I've forgotten some too, or I might have won
the contest.

I don't want to get anywhere close to empty anymore, because I have
100 reasons not to stop for gas.