Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Tool Rest

Hi Jerry
Take a minute here OK, draw a circle , big enough so you can see
better, now draw horizontal line at centre, now mark a point above the
horizontal line on the inside of the circle, (read that again) than do
it, now imagine this is where your gouge is and you have a catch, OK,
the gouge will go down vertical more or less, so draw a vertical line
from the point where, your gouge was, and you will see that the gouge
will get out in the air, agree ??.
Now we do the same thing but the spot where your gouge is, we place
below the horizontal line,(read again, and mark it) and now you have a
catch OK, your gouge is going down, draw that line, vertically down
from where you your gouge was, and you will see the gouge is going
down INTO the wood, do you see it ?? YOU HAVE NOW A MAYOR CATCH.
Hollowing on the inside, keep your scraper/gouge ABOVE the centre
line.
I have a few photo albums with a couple of pictures that show clearly
where the tool is in the bowl while hollowing, my hands are not always
where I normally would have them, this was to show a certain "mickey
mouse" a few things.
So have a look and go back at it, just remember that turning fresh new
wood is a lot easier than dry oak, and I think if you like to
practice, get some green wood and have fun.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On May 2, 5:45 pm, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
Got a small lathe and started turning a bowl out of dry oak ,should the
tool rest be above or below center ?
I'm having trouble holowing out the inside of the bowl, either tool is
dull or i'm to low on the post because I keep getting allot of catches &
broke the edge off of a bowl gouge .

All advice will be appreciated

Jerry