Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

Default i need installing a led night light outlet.

On May 1, 12:27 pm, "
wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
t...
John Grabowski wrote:
wrote in message
gy.net...
The old 120v outlet has 2 blacks and 2 whites and 1 ground. The new led
night light outlet has 1 black 1 white and 1 ground. I tried hooking up
2 blacks together and the 2 whites together and screwing them to the

new
led night light outlet. But it blowes the breaker.
anyone know what im going wrong?

thanks

Is it a two pole circuit breaker that blows? I'm thinking that the

original
outlet was a split outlet and there were actually two circuits connected

it. Where is this outlet located?

Its in the wall. when i hooked up only one white and one black there was
no power to the rest of the room. I guess the power passes threw outlet
to the rest of the room. Its a one pole breaker that blows. 15 amp beaker.

Well it sounds as though you had it right the first time. Perhaps an
exposed contact or piece of copper wire was shorting to ground. Try
unscrewing the unit out of the electrical box and just let it hang with all
of the wires connected and turn on the circuit breaker. If it doesn't trip
your problem was with the way the wires were pushed into the box. Turn the
power off again and carefully push the wires into the box.

I guess the ground wire could be hitting the hot wire. I might give it
another try. My cat like to play with the wires. so i will have lock my
cat in another room while i keep the outlet out and turn the power on.

Do you have a multimeter or something else you can use to test?
Before you disconnect the old stuff probe it and see which lines are
hot. It may be the thing was miswired somehow. A couple of my
friends have had some interesting (shocking even!) experiences with
miswired outlets.