Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cooking-chat,sci.chemistry
Max Hauser Max Hauser is offline

Default OT for some groups, Teflon ...

"Jerry Avins" in :
I think I know part of the reason. There are many hazards we have to
contend with -- exhaust particulates, contaminated water, adulterated
food -- that we can do little or nothing about. An issue like Teflon can
provide an artificial feeling of empowerment: we *can* do something! Even
if it doesn't matter, it feels good.

Unfortunately what feels good can do bad, as you know. That false feeling
of empowerment can lead people wholeheartedly to unwise decisions. (Here
I'm thinking more widely than Teflon. Few people, if any, will be harmed
directly by NOT using Teflon-coated cookware, whatever their rationale.)

I built a piece of equipment used on the Mercury space capsule. . . . I
was not allowed to use wire insulated with vinyl because vinyl releases
noxious fumes (phosgene) when overheated. Instead, I had to use Teflon
(which releases fluorine, but at a much higher temperature).

Considering all the available data about possible (but VERY unlikely)
hazards around us, and what glorious demagoguery they'd make (and sometimes,
do make), you or I could become guru-prophets of the Nasty Risks They Aren't
Telling You About (note the useful word "they") -- cynically working this
anxiety response to empower _ourselves._ (That is of course, if you or I
didn't have a conscience.)

A thought for the day. -- Max