Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default OT Renting a car

"mm" wrote

On Wed, 2 May 2007 07:20:27 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Nothing to do with Big Brother. If you've ever rented a car after
a heavy smoker, you know it's all about people ruining cars. The
car rental company has a right to protect its investment.

That makes sense. But I would think Jeff is right, that they'll use
the same lighter they use when they're walking down the street and
don't have a car with a cigarette lighter under them.

Surely only the most disorganized smoker goes out without a lighter,
and if he does, he can buy one or get matches at a 7-11.

Do the car companies try to penalize someone who smokes in their cars?
What if I rent a car and have to give my boss a ride and he smokes?
Would I have to stop him or pay for it afterwards?

I think that would be true. If they say don't smoke in the car, I bet
they have provisions for you to pay up if you stink the car up. Last
time I stayed in a hotel, I saw that the fine for smoking in the room was
no joke ... $250 I think.

I rented a car once that had reasonably low mileage, but you couldn't
drive it with the windows closed, it stunk of cigarette smoke that bad.
I am not one of those, ooo I detect a whiff of smoke, I mean it *reeked*
that much. Man.

I could see where someone might rent a supposedly non-smoking
car, get in and there's a little smoke stench and they say Give me a
different
car. I can't really blame the car rental people for taking out the lighter.
Still, to take out the fuse, that does seem to be going a little far.

nancy