Andrew Gabriel

Default Flex outlet for wall light

In article ,
(Martin Pentreath) writes:
I have redecorated a bedroom and removed a hideous old wall light from
one of the alcoves. I've put some shelving and a wall-mounted desk in
the alcove, and I'd like to use the wall-light wiring to provide a
small fluorescent strip under the bottom shelf as a desklamp (eg
http://xsls.com/?701 ).

At the moment the wall-light wiring just emerges from the plaster on
the wall. What I plan to do is to put a standard electrical pattress
box into the wall to accommodate the wiring (plus a terminal block)
and to have the flex to the striplight emerge from a flex outlet. The
flex outlet will be hidden behind books on the shelves, so it won't
look too funny having it halfway up the wall.

Two questions.

Is this an acceptable way to do this.

Yes, although that makes the light part of your fixed wiring installation.

I would use a connector instead. The options a
Klik connector - available for alcatrave patress box or BESA (circular) box;
2A BS546 round pin plug and socket (socket must be shuttered);
Clock connector.

And have I dreampt up the idea of a flex outlet (ie a single-gang
white plate with a hole in the middle, not part of a FCU). TLC have
something called flex outlets ( http://xsls.com/?700 )but they look
suspiciously like blanking plates to me (no hole).

Hole may be in the edge, and/or need to be punched out.

--
Andrew Gabriel