Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Plastic electric boxes and ceiling fans?

There are plenty of plastic boxes rated for hanging fans on. Also with the
reinforcement you plan to do, it'll be fine. After all fans don't weigh
anything like they used to. I've hung dozens on plastic boxes that are
supported with a two by four above them and some extra screws shot through
the top of them. It's not a jet engine we're hanging here.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...es-610977.aspx
http://www.carterlumber.com/Products...hoto_00213.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...SHK&lpage=none
Here's the side nail on unit
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...25A&lpage=none

--
Steve Barker

"Apropos" wrote in message
I wish to hang a clg fan where there's an existing plastic box.

I believe the plastic box is supported by a metal between-stud bracket. I
plan to reinforce the box by putting a 2x4 above the box and using lag
bolts
w/washers thru the box to support it.

My question would be the THREADS of the box. I'm sure the box itself, as
it
will be supported, would well stand the force of the fan; however there's
big question if the THREADS would have any problem.

One thing about the plastic threads is that you have a large number of
them
(sticking the screw up to 1" into threads) as opposed to the steel, which
has only a small number of threads. Anyone have experience with this?

If I need to get the box off, how best to do that? Would I *HAVE* to do
it
in the attic? It's VERY hard to get in there and I want to use the
existing
hanger, only REINFORCING the box with the new wood. I don't see any
internal screws which hang the fixture