Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home plumbing: Copper VS plastic-type pipes

On May 2, 6:26�am, "jerryl" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 2, 2:33 am, The Space Boss wrote:
I was talking to a plumber and he told me that new houses being built
no longer use copper plumbing. In fact, he told me that the "plastic
type" pipes (I forget what the material actually is) is actually
superior to copper.

Is this true? It seems to me that copper would stand up better against
the elements "freezing, etc" than Plastic would.

Please advise.

When I put the addition on our house in the late 80's I used the white
1/2" CPVC pipe and have regretted using it since. *It was easier to
assembly, just glue, no soldering but if you look in the end of the
pipe the wall thickness is bigger than copper. *This creates reduced
water volume. *Our shower in the addition is about 3/4 strength that
it should be, toilet takes longer to fill, etc.

Stick to copper.

And hopefully your house doesn't get cold enough for the pipes to
freeze.

Brian

They may be referring to PEX. * It looks like stiff rubber hose and it cuts
labor time substantially from what I see. No threading, soldering or gluing.
The PEX is cut to size with a plier type cutter *and clamped with a squeeze
type clamping tool. Looks very easy for do-it-yourselfers but the clamping
tool is very expensive.- Hide quoted text -

PEX is great. water stays warmer in pex, its flexible, easier to
install, ONE LINE to each fixture will all valves on a manifold, no
buried connections in walls. its been used in europe for a long time.
when we redo our bath PEX will replace the copper, with a dedicated
line to each fixture. no more scalds if someone flushes the toilet.