Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Running an extractor fan for long periods (damp cellar)?

On 2007-05-01, Lurch wrote:

I had a dehumidifier and was thinking about getting an automatic pump,
because I was tired of emptying the tank every day and because it
would fill up and shut off when I was away --- but the dehumidifier
failed recently, so I'm looking for an easy, low-maintenance solution!

You can get dehumidifiers with pumps built in,

Really, where? (I haven't seen any.)

failing that though an automatic pump is an easy addition. You just
want a condensate pump from a plumbers merchants.

When I was looking into this last time, the plumbing supplier I phoned
(just before the old dehumidifier died) seemed a little surprised I
thought he would have such a thing.

The whole concept is flawed in my view. You're simply sucking in air
from outside through the air bricks. Sure, you'll create reassuringly
large amounts of water but it won't make the cellar any drier.