Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk Adam Funk is offline

Default Running an extractor fan for long periods (damp cellar)?

On 2007-05-01, wrote:

I had a dehumidifier and was thinking about getting an automatic pump,
because I was tired of emptying the tank every day and because it
would fill up and shut off when I was away --- but the dehumidifier
failed recently, so I'm looking for an easy, low-maintenance solution!

Ventilation will bring the cellar down to exterior temp, and you'll
then lose lotsa heat through the living area floors. IOW a fan will
cost you much more than a dehumidifier to run.

Good point.

A condensate pump will solve the tank emptying problem.

I'll reconsider getting a new dehumidifier and a pump, then.