Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default Making garden pond heron-proof

In article ,
vortex2 wrote:
Hi,

In the next couple of weeks we are seriously "upgrading" our
garden pond to be approx 15m^2 (is/was about 3 m^2).

Local herons seem to feed well from garden ponds, so historically
we had fruit cage netting covering ours to prevent them
harvesting our fish. A complete eyesore.

Any ideas/suggestions for a less visually intrusive method for
making the pond unattractive to herons (and for that matter wild
ducks)?

You can buy dummy herons to stand by the side of the
pool and 'claim' the territory. It works.

I was working, looking out of an upstairs window one
day, and noticed that next door had bought a rather
nice heron statue, standing just by their fishpool.
In fact it was a real heron which had just taken all
the 19 fish in there, some of them quite large.

--
Tony Williams.