Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David David is offline

Default Making garden pond heron-proof

On May 2, 9:45 am, "vortex2"
wrote:
Hi,

In the next couple of weeks we are seriously "upgrading" our garden pond to
be approx 15m^2 (is/was about 3 m^2).

Local herons seem to feed well from garden ponds, so historically we had
fruit cage netting covering ours to prevent them harvesting our fish. A
complete eyesore.

Any ideas/suggestions for a less visually intrusive method for making the
pond unattractive to herons (and for that matter wild ducks)?

I see herehttp://www.wildwoodsonline.co.uk/acatalog/Heron_Deterrents.html
that there are quite a few commercial options none of which have any great
aesthetic appeal.

I am thinking that a grid of taut fishing line on 1 foot-ish centres will
unobtrusively "cut the mustard". Is this likely to be effective?

Any other suggestions?

David

After having the same problem, I went to rec.ponds and found all sorts
of advice, some good, some not so good... But I would recommend the
post at
http://preview.tinyurl.com/34x6jc
for some advice and a good laugh.

We put a couple of lengths of heavy, arched clay ridge tile in the
pond for the fish to hide under. The fish are still there and have
been joined for another year by their seasonal little mates, the
newts.

David