Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick thehick is offline

Default Grease around Stove (Impossible to Remove)

On May 1, 11:26 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
thehick wrote:
I am cleaning up a rental (you know what that means) apartment
and the grease on the walls around the stove is proving very
difficult to remove. Tried: Baking Soda, TSP, Dishwashing
Detergent, Bleach, WD40, Lysol, Spray Nine. Tomorrow I'll
try Dunk (automotive degreaser). It just isn't coming off.

I guess I could scrape it too and then sand it but that'll
make an unholy dusty mess of the kitchen. We want to
paint the whole apartment so if the paint comes off,
that's OK too. Underneath is probably plaster. Not drywall.

Any other suggestions? thanks...thehick

You need a stronger alkaline cleaner. Heavy duty oven cleaner, or
undiluted extra strength (10% to 27%) ammonium hydroxide. You can get
the ammonia at Ace Hardware for about $2.50 per quart.

If you want something cheap and less nasty to work with, you can try
washing soda and hot water first. Don't expect it to work, but it's
worth a try.

I recommend the oven cleaner.

Bob

thanks for the suggestions. i knew about greased lightning but
i haven't seen it yet. i'll try walmart tomorrow. hmmm.
alkaline cleaner? is that a clue for me that i've been
using the wrong type of cleaner?
....thehick