Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default OT Renting a car

mm wrote:
OT renting a car.

A friend just came back from Florida where she rented a car but took
none of the extras offerred.

The rental guy tried to sell her INSURANCE but she said she was
covered by her own insurance, but he said not for LOSS OF USE. What
does that mean, she can't use the rental car! Don't they just give
you another one if you break the first one?

He also wanted to sell her a full tank of gas so that she didn't have
to fill the tank at a gas station before she returned the car. She
took that to mean a FULL tank of gas even if she was only half empty.
They were charging 3.05 a gallon and she filled up near the air port
for 2.93, I think, or 12 cents a gallon difference, so if they were
only going to charge her for half a tank that would have only been
maybe $1.20, which she would have gladly paid. But he called it a
FULL tank of gas. Also, do they ever lie about how much they put in?
Since the customer doesn't see the pump.

My car rental tale goes like this:

SWMBO and I rented a car in Orlando and as we drove off she pulled her
cell phone charger out of her purse and plugged it into the lighter socket.

The little red LED on the charger didn't come on as it always does so I
figured some previous renter had blown out the lighter fuse and the
rental place had little reason to check for that.

So, since we were going to be there for a week and didn't have a line
voltage charger with us I "whipped a youey" and went back to the place
to tell them about the problem.

I was shocked, shocked, to hear the girl behind the counter say, "Oh,
the boss had all the lighter sockets disabledd because our cars are all
"non-smoking". (Oh yeah, that's going to stop some pig from lighting up
with a match or a Bic lighter.)

I told her that wouldn't do and after some more pressure from me she got
one of the techs to crawl under the dash and stick a fuse in the empty
slot to power up the lighter socket.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia