Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does it harm a self propelled mower to be pulled back with the drive disengaged?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.

When you pull it back, you must disengage the drive unit or it will be
trying to go away from you. If you have a lot of tight areas, a lot of
shrubs or trees to go around, get a standard push mower. I hated my self
propelled on my lawn as it was just awkward to hand in tight spots. If you
have lots of straight cutting, they are fine.