Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Septic system failed inspection

On May 1, 3:14 pm, KC wrote:
dpb wrote:

KC has a useful question although a well operating septic field
doesn't rely on the surface ground so much so that rainwater (unless
it's standing) shouldn't cause failure.

True for average rainfall. But when you get storm system after storm
system, one being a noreaster that stayed for the better part of a
week, I would think the ground must be saturated pretty deep. Don't
people up north have similar problems when the snow pack melts? Seems
like I saw a post recently where someone stated they quit using the
septic and go to an outhouse until the ground dries. Hell of a time to
try selling property when that happens.

I don't believe unless the ground were actually underwater for a
period that a health system review would consider that a correctly
operating leach field. Would depend some on the actual site and soil
and so on I'm sure, but that would be my inclination that there
wouldn't be much tolerance for a repetitive situation like every
spring/winter as far as they official position.

Again not to say it's not worth at least asking about for OP, but I
doubt he'll be able to get much if any relief on that basis.