Posted to alt.home.repair
fishcakes fishcakes is offline

Default Builder put window in wrong place

On Apr 30, 2:52 pm, wrote:
On Apr 30, 1:23 pm, Steve wrote:

kris3432 wrote in news:1177956070.698478.59740
@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

We are building a house long distance, about 8 hours away (military
move). Some friends of ours went to the house this past weekend to
take some pictures for us.

The house has a room on each side that comes out from the front of the
house. Each bedroom has a two connected windows on the front. Both
of the windows are supposed to be centered on the wall. On one side
the windows are centered the other is not. It looks like it is off-
center by at least two feet.

I have contacted my realtor or the builder about this problem yet
because I am unsure how to go about it. Every issue that I have had
so far has been treated like "nothing to be bothered about."

The house has all the siding and drywall up. Although, the drywall
has not been finished yet.

What should I do? The un-centered window bothers me a lot. I guess I
could plant a tall bush on that side of the house to distract from the
error. We will only be living in the house about 4 years. I do not
want to do anything that will keep us from moving in the house on
time. (about 7 weeks).

Thanks for your help.

Depending on your contract, is really IS no big deal: You tell them to
fix it and they do what you say. They didn't build the house according
to the plan, so they don't have much choice.

Yeah, right. They don't have much choice. Except maybe to keep the
deposit
and tell you to get lost. What planet are you on?

First, what evidence, other than the buyer saying so, is there that
the window
is in the "wrong" place? And even if a window is off from where it's
shown on
some document, how much are you willing to spend to try to prove it on
the chance
that you might win?

Don;t get me wrong. If the window is substantially off from where
it's supposed to
be, the buyer has a valid issue and it should be fixed. However,
anyone saying
it's no big deal is an idiot.

Also, depending on your

contract, they shouldn't have any trouble getting it done on time --
they just have to hire extra workers.

LOL, what does the contract have to do with how much trouble it is to
get the job done on time? Does it say if we screw up and it's a lot
of
trouble, we have 6 mths, but if it's less trouble we have 1 mth? And
wha
t does any of that have to do with the questions at hand?

If I understand your description, your house will look unbalanced. You
might have trouble selling it.

Oh, so you're not even sure you understand the description, but you
know it's no
problem?

Call your representative NOW!-

There is no record of what was said on a phone call. You should call
the builder AND send the builder via mail with a return receipt a
letter stating your issue.- Hide quoted text -

I said that moving a window is no big deal, particularly in new
construction, or in a 100 year old house for that matter. That's
insane to tell this gentlemen that anyone who thinks its no big deal
to move a window is an idiot. It happens countless times and any
contractor with half a brain and a couple of tools can do it. A smuck
and a duck can do it. What kind of contractor or builders do you
know...the lazy ******* types that are just looking for the money. We
can turn a 1200 sq. ft. cape home into Graceland in 1 week, but we
can't move an existing window...gimme a friggin break man. Kris, if
you want the window moved, it can be moved by any qualified
contractor.