Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Festool (not Fats) Domino and such ilk.

On May 1, 2:24 pm, charlieb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

This is an interesting tool. Same money as the Domino, roughly.
The standard 32 mm spacing is appealing.

http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/pds32/pds32.htm

V e rrrrrrr eee In ter rrrrressss ting ...
but dowels?

You gonna brag to a customer that all your stuff
is put together with dowels? I guess you could
tell them you use "round loose tenon" mortise and
tenon joints, noting that mortise and tenon joinery
is an old tried and true, Traditional means of joinery,
found in the finest of furniture.

I totally agree. the 'floating tenon' has more caché.
Besides, a choice between the Hoffman and the Domino is easy.
The one thing I do like about the Hoffman, is the 32 mm spacing. THAT
can be put to use in many nifty ways.

On second thought - how many people shopping for
"furniture" at IKEA would give a tinker's dam how
the stuff is put together.

IKEA is up-scale from a LOT of **** out there. But it ain't Stickley.