Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Running an extractor fan for long periods (damp cellar)?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:24:37 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

|!I have a damp cellar with some ventilation (air bricks to the outside)
|!but not enough, so I'm planning to mount an extractor fan in one of
|!the air brick recesses, then run it as much of the time as necessary
|!(controlled by a timer) to dry out the cellar.

Try to find out where the water comes from, almost certainly Ground Water,
which means that you are drying not only the walls, but 50 ft of soil
behind the wall, so it may never dry out completely, in the West Riding
some cellars flood periodically depending on how wet or dry the year is.
Some were dry between WWI and WWII when it was dry and damp after WWII when
it was wetter
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg