Posted to alt.home.repair
Daniel Fenner Daniel Fenner is offline

Default Lentil Beam above Garage is Bending

I've been in a home for one year now, that was built 8 years ago. The
garage has a brick gable, with a window in the middle, above it. It
appear that the lentil that the building company put in is not strong
enough to support all of that weight and is starting to sag in the
middle which has caused the brick above it to start separating (one
large verticle crack from the window and growing larger as it moves
down to the lentil. My QUESTION is, what is the best and cheapest
repair for this. I've had a range of recommended fixes from taking
all of the bricks out and replacing the lentil, to putting in
lagger(?) bolts and tuck points(?). Is the latter option just a short
term fix? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Daniel